DIRECTOR: Johnathan Lynn
STARRING: Christopher Lloyd, Tim Curry, Eileen Brennan
GENRE: Comedy, Mystery
COUNTRY: United States
Clue is a very interesting and silly movie. Clue is one of the few films based off a game that audiences actually liked! It is quite uncommon especially since most video game/board game adaptations are poorly made and received ( Ex. Super Mario Brothers, Doom). There are exceptions here and there and Clue is that exception.
Clue is a detective mystery film with the titular characters stuck in a gothic mansion at a party. Over the course of the night, many mysterious murders occur. All of the characters are connected to the mysterious murder victims in one way or another and we follow all of the characters as they try to discover who is the murderer. The descriptions of each character are listed below:
- Professor Plum (Christopher Lloyd) is a psychiatrist who lost his license because he had an affair with a female patient. He now works for the World Health Organization.
- Mrs. Peacock (Eileen Brennan) is the wife of a Senator who has accepted bribes to deliver her husband’s vote.
- Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn) is an alleged black widow who was drawn in to avoid a scandal regarding the mysterious death of her nuclear physicist husband. She was previously married to an illusionist, who disappeared under mysterious circumstances.
- Miss Scarlet (Lesley Ann Warren) is a madam who operates an illegal brothel in Washington, D.C.
- Colonel Mustard (Martin Mull) is thought, at first, to have been blackmailed for scandalous pictures, but it is later revealed that he was a war profiteer who made his money from selling stolen radio components on the black market. He now works at the Pentagon.
- Mr. Green (Michael McKean) is a homosexual, a secret that would cost him his job with the State Department if it were widely known.
Who do you think is the murderer?
What do you mean, murder?
Clue is a silly fun movie, that is the best way to describe it. Christopher Lloyd and Tim Curry are by far the most hilarious characters in Clue, they carry the film with their expert acting. What makes the film are the little things. The little reactions between all of the characters, especially the snippity dialogue for the majority of the characters. The best part of Clue is that is has three endings, which include the most plausible answers and the real answer. The real answer may shock you. Below is one of the best parts of Clue, and is one of the possible endings. *SPOILERS*[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROhf5Soqs]
Clue does have its drawbacks though. The film is very slow at the start and it doesn’t really become exciting until everyone starts dying. Isn’t that normally how it works in most films anyway? Some of the characters are just plain stupid and I am talking about you Colonel Mustard. Martin Mull tries and is actually somewhat funny in one of the endings, but that is because of a running gag with a chandelier. Madeline Kahn tries too hard to be funny and results to making weird noises. They are only somewhat funny because they are random and unexpected.
- Two major comedic actors carry the film.
- Entertaining and thought provoking plot.
- Hilarious fun to solve the plot before the characters do.
- Stays true to source material.
- Supporting cast tries too hard to be funny.
- Some of the characters are written more stupid and less like their board game personas.
- Warning, some awkward dialogue.
SCORE: 7.2 / 10
Like Media In Review @ https://www.facebook.com/MediaInReview?ref=hl
Follow Media in Review @ https://twitter.com/Media_In_Review
Stay tuned for the new you tube channel
Who am I? Just some guy who decided to start writing on the Internet years ago and now operates his own brand and site. Owner/Operator of Modern Neon Media, I make all kinds of niche content to suit my interests at the time. DIY Enthusiast, Brewmaster extraordinaire, and avid freak for geek culture. Follow on my socials for a more “on” version of me.