Alright everyone, it is time we go down this Self Esteem rabbit hole. On our latest visit to the unique side of the indie world we are checking out “Prioritise Pleasure”, the latest single and video from Self Esteem. Conceptually created by Rebecca Lucy Taylor, Self Esteem is an interesting indie pop artist who is breaking down barriers and stigmas through music regarding traumas and life events. Self Esteem originally debuted back in 2019 with her debut album Compliments Please, which snagged her plent of acclaim early on in her career and aided in buzz surrounding her next album. With a clear goal in mind right out of the gate, Self Esteem continues to grow her idea of everyone being their unapologetic selves in her upcoming album Prioritise Pleasure.
“The song is a wide screen mantra, remembering to put myself first and in turn making myself a better, more present person. My journey to accept myself is far from over, but over the last few years some of the age old simple shit has started to finally kick in. Love yourself, be in the moment, put your needs first -that all used to feel so abstract and impossible but with a bit of will power (and writing a tonne of songs about it), I finally not only see the benefits but am actively enjoying them.
The video is of course a homage to Madonna’s blonde ambition tour and also a testament to how hard work pays off. Me and the girls in the band did lots of zoom rehearsals and us nailing this choreo was a really triumphant moment for us, and choreographer Stuart Rogers who never doubts we’ll get there.” – Self Esteem
We have a certain level of uncertainy when we find indie tracks in our inbox, we never exactly know what kind of musical journey lies ahead for us. However, this time when Self Esteem popped into our feed, we dove in with very little to no hesitation. Serving as the title track for the upcoming album of the same name, “Prioritize Pleasure” gives us an intriguing tease into this empowering funk pop project crafted by Self Esteem. Throughout the album Self Esteem explores difficult subjects such as breaking vices, heartbreak, self-doubt, and sexual assault, all through the veil of funky pop. The track’s music video was actually directed by Self Esteem herself also being shot at The Almeida Theatre with the help of Mr Mr Films. With such a powerful title track as this one, we know for a fact we will be providing full coverage for the album once it drops later this year.
If you want to catch Self Esteem on her UK tour, check out the dates below!
UK 2021 TOUR DATES
- 29th July – The Box @ FarGo Village, Coventry
- 30th July – Camp Bestival, Dorset
- 8th August – Get Together, Sheffield
- 1st November – Fleece, Bristol
- 2nd November – Wylam Brewery, Newcastle
- 3rd November – Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
- 4th November – O2 Academy, Oxford
- 6th November – The Bongo Club, Edinburgh
- 7th November – Audio, Glasgow
- 9th November – The Workmans Club, Dublin
- 10th November – Gorilla, Manchester
- 11th November – Belgrave Music Hall, Leeds (SOLD OUT)
- 12th November – The Leadmill, Sheffield
- 14th November – Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich
- 15th November – Sub 89, Reading
- 16th November – The Joiners, Southampton
- 17th November – Heaven, London (SOLD OUT)
- 19th November – Elsewhere, Margate (SOLD OUT)
- 20th November – Patterns, Brighton (SOLD OUT)
- 23rd November – Phoenix, Exeter
- 24th November – Hare & Hounds, Birmingham
- 25th November – Metronome, Nottingham
Make sure you check out “Prioritse Pleasure” on YouTube below!
Need more Self Esteem? Follow on socials!
Also, we now have a Discord! Feel free to join the community, and if you have singles you want us to feature you can connect with us there!
Who am I? Just some guy who decided to start writing on the Internet years ago and now operates his own brand and site. Owner/Operator of Modern Neon Media, I make all kinds of niche content to suit my interests at the time. DIY Enthusiast, Brewmaster extraordinaire, and avid freak for geek culture. Follow on my socials for a more “on” version of me.